I Sing a Song of the Saints of God
The tune is also something like you would find out a Gilbert and Sullivan musical, well today, on all saints day, we did not sing this hymn. I was disappointed to say the least as I like to be reminded that I could meet a saint at tea or at sea. In stead we sang: For all the saints who from their labors rest which includes the lineI sing a song of the saints of God,
Patient and brave and true,
Who toiled and fought and lived and died
For the Lord they loved and knew.
And one was a doctor,
And one was a queen,
And one was a shepherdess on the green:
They were all of them saints of God--and I mean,
God helping, to be one too.They loved their Lord so dear, so dear,
And his love made them strong;
And they followed the right, for Jesus' sake,
The whole of their good lives long.
And one was a soldier,
And one was a priest,
And one was slain by a fierce wild beast:
And there's not any reason--no, not the least,
Why I shouldn't be one too.They lived not only in ages past,
There are hundreds of thousands still,
The world is bright with the joyous saints
Who love to do Jesus' will.
You can meet them in school, or
In lanes, or at sea,
In church, or in trains, or in shops, or at tea,
For the saints of God are just folk like me,
And I mean to be one too.
fight as the saints who nobly fought of old
However, my loving wife knew that I needed some cheering up and instead sang the following line
fight as the saints who nobly fought the old
it is at this point that Beth and I both had visions of St. Peter with flaming sword in hand laying siege to an old folks home. Complete with Noble Saints wresting fiber bars, laxatives, and various prescription medications away from the old. Well, we lost it in the middle of Church and laughed the whole way through the rest of the service. So a big thank you to my wife for cheering me up, hope all is well with y'all --Shüg



No comments:
Post a Comment